SUN CAN BE A SIN AND SUNSCREEN CAN BE HOLY!!
Ok, May is here and may`s summer-ready with scorching sun. Nani told us that should sit in the sun, it gives Vitamin D which is good for healthy bones. Did Nani tell us about sun damage? How harmful can sun rays be for our skin? Sun can cause skin cancer.
What Sun Do To Our Skin:
No problem, we will discuss it step-by-step. Sun has two different wavelength rays- UVA and UVB and UVB wavelength are shorter than the UVA. Ultraviolet radiation causes DNA changes in the skin that can lead to premature aging and skin cancer. Lets me introduce you in brief about these radiations:
UVA light- This form of solar radiation damages skin at all levels—from the surface layer (epidermis) down deep into the dermis. Within those layers, several parts of the skin are affected, including collagen and elastin fibers, which give the skin its youthful appearance and elasticity, as well as epidermal cells and tiny blood vessels called capillaries.
UVB light- This type of solar radiation irradiates the outer layer of the skin. UVB damages DNA (more potently than UVA) in the epidermis and can cause photoaging.
Mechanism of Photoaging:
Sun has emitted different wavelength radiation. Ozone is a particularly effective absorber of UV radiation. As the ozone layer gets thinner, the protective filter activity of the atmosphere is progressively reduced. Consequently, the people and the environment are exposed to higher levels of UV radiation, especially UVB, UVA, and UVC.
The UV region covers the wavelength range 100-400 nm and is divided into three bands:
- UVA (315-400 nm)
- UVB (280-315 nm)
- UVC (100-280 nm)
Short-wavelength UVC is the most damaging type of UV radiation. However, it is completely filtered by the atmosphere and does not reach the earth's surface. The other two reach the Earth’s surface and cause damage to the skin. UVB reaches the outer layer of the skin epidermis and causes burning and tanning and UVA reaches the deeper layer of the skin due to longer wavelength and causes photoaging and eventually skin cancer.
Signs of Skin damage:
- Discoloration and tanning
- Wrinkles and a fine line an early age
- Acne and blemishes
- Skin burning and redness
- Skin Cancer
How Sunscreen Works:
Sunscreen works by blocking and absorbing UV rays through a combination of physical and chemical particles. Physical particles, such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, are used to reflect UV radiation from the skin. At the same time, complex chemical ingredients in sunscreen react with radiation before it penetrates the skin, absorbing the rays and releasing the energy as heat.
Sunscreen has sun protection factor or SPF. which is commonly misconceived as the strength of protection. But actually, refers to how much longer it takes for UVB rays to redden the skin with sunscreen compared to without sunscreen.
For example, an SPF of 15 means it will take 15 times longer for skin to burn while using the product compared to without the product.
Fact About Sunscreen Synthetic Ingredients:
Synthetic sunscreen infused with harsh and toxic chemicals. Some of the chemicals have been eliminated by FDA to not use in skincare products like:
- Avobenzone- This ingredient penetrates the skin, is a severe eye irritant and allergen. Highly unstable in the presence of UV light, it photodegrades with exposure to sunlight, increasing free radicals in the skin.
- Silicone-based- Silicone-based ingredients that are used in skin and hair care products. They soften the skin and smooth hair follicles, but they’ve also been shown to be toxic and to bio-accumulate in aquatic organisms. They are also suspected to be reproductive toxins and endocrine disruptors.
- Zinc- Zinc is found naturally in the environment and seawater; however they are all listed as marine pollutants and have a component listed as highly toxic to aquatic organisms.
- Quaternium-15- Used in low concentrations, it is still classified as a skin, eye, and respiratory irritant.
- Parabens- These ingredients can mimic the hormone estrogen which has been known to contribute to breast cancer and can also mimic other hormones in the body.
Scary? Switch to naturally formulated sunscreen BIOAYURVEDA skincare of SPF protective cream and lotions for all type of skin:
- HOMME UV DEFENSE SUNSCREEN LOTION (SPF 30)
- PEARL SPORT SOLAR DEFENSE SUNSCREEN LOTION (SPF 30)
- ANTI-AGEING SUN PROTECTIVE FACE CRÈME (SPF 30)
- ROSE CALAMINE SUN PROTECTIVE FACE CREME (SPF 60)
Our skincare products are enriched with the natural plant extracts and vital essential oils like
ROSE CALAMINE SUN PROTECTIVE FACE CREME (SPF 60) is the best sunscreen for face with broad-spectrum SPF 60 with the goodness of Dalchini and Erand Oil,
ANTI-AGEING SUN PROTECTIVE FACE CRÈME (SPF 30) is an organic sun-protective face cream for anti-aging with SPF 30, enriched with the goodness of Apricot and Amla.
PEARL SPORT SOLAR DEFENSE SUNSCREEN LOTION (SPF 30) This the best natural sunscreen lotion with SPF 30 infused with the organic plant extracts of Green Tea and Haldi. You get the best protection for your skin with harsh chemicals and paraben-free sun protection.
HOMME UV DEFENSE SUNSCREEN LOTION (SPF 30) is a perfect light sunscreen lotion SPF 30, packed with Badam and Bavachi.
BIOAYURVEDA mission is to offer completely natural and organic products with unique herbal formulations for skincare, personal care, nutrition, and nutraceuticals that serve with:
- zero synthetics in vegan and vegetarian
- Committed to sustainable self-care, our ingredients are completely natural and organic, free of chemicals and synthetics.
- Eco-friendly packaging
- No synthetic chemical,
- No animal cruelty.
Point To Be Noted About Sunscreen:
- Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 2 hours
- Sunscreen should be worn daily whether indoor or outdoor
- Sunscreen should apply not only on the face but on the whole body
- Oily skin people can go with lotion-based sunscreen
- The magic SPF is 30, Indian skin tone is not necessary to go beyond.
- SPF 30 protects 98% and SPF 50 99%, Choose your sunscreen wisely.
Now you are protected from sun damage, you can enjoy your summer but keep your mask and sanitizer with you. Follow social distancing. HAPPY SUMMER!!